Samuel L. Jackson: ‘I’d Rather Be Nick Fury’ Than Win Oscars or Chase Oscar-Baiting Roles

Samuel L Jackson as Nick Fury

Samuel L. Jackson's lone Oscar is an honorary award, but he doesn't mind because he's been portraying Marvel Cinematic Universe mainstay Nick Fury for almost a decade. According to the Los Angeles Times, Jackson would rather create billion-dollar Marvel movies than compete for Oscar nominations or chase down Oscar-baiting parts.

"As jaded as I wanted to be about it, thinking, 'Well, I should have gotten an Oscar for this or for that and it didn't happen,' it wasn't a huge concern for me after I got over it many years ago," Jackson remarked.


“I always have fun going to the Oscars. I always look forward to getting a gift basket for being a presenter. [Laughs] I give stuff to my relatives; my daughter and my wife would take stuff out. It’s cool…But otherwise, I was past it.”

Jackson continued, "I was never going to let the Oscars determine whether or not I was a successful actor. My criterion for success is whether or not I am happy with what I'm doing. I'm not interested in making movies about chasing statues. 'If you do this movie, you'll win an Oscar,' you know [whispers]. Thank you, but no. Nick Fury is someone I'd rather be. Or pretending to be Mace Windu and wielding a lightsaber."

Related: Ms. Marvel actress slams MCU’s Mysterio Plot Hole

That's not to say Jackson doesn't believe he should have won an Oscar for acting by now. When he was nominated for his performance in Quentin Tarantino's "Pulp Fiction," the actor told The Sunday Times in March that he should have won the Oscar for supporting actor. Martin Landau ("Ed Wood"), Chazz Palminteri ("Bullets Over Broadway"), Paul Scofield ("Quiz Show"), and Gary Sinise were all nominated that year ("Forrest Gump"). Landau won the Academy Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role. Jackson also claimed that he was overlooked for an Oscar for "Jungle Fever," for which he was not even nominated.

Related: The Boys Makes Fun of Morbius’ Embarrassing Re-Release Flop

Jackson told the Los Angeles Times that if it means making movies, he's willing to forego Oscar nominations ""That's the guy I chose to be, and I'm fine with it," he says, adding,

 "That's the guy I chose to be, and I'm fine with it." I'm content because it's who I am. I'm the guy who draws the lines you see on T-shirts. There are performers that have a long career and no one can recall a single line they've said in a film. People watch my movies to see how insane I'll get or how many times I'll shout "motherf**ker." Whatever it takes to get them in the seats."

In the new Disney+ series "Secret Invasion," Jackson will resume his role as Nick Fury, much to the delight of Marvel fans. Jackson appears alongside Ben Mendelsohn, Cobie Smulders, Martin Freeman, and Don Cheadle, all of whom are MCU veterans.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jessica Jones Highlights Sexist Treatment Of Female Marvel Heroes

GoT's Lena Headey Sued Over Cut Thor: Love and Thunder Role

Marvel Star Will Poulter Says Superhero Body Transformations Are 'Unhealthy' and 'Unrealistic'